Friday, April 1, 2011

Cherry Creek Reservoir and McLain Gravel Pit

April 1, 2011

Richard Stevens:

I just could not stay home and get my chores done on this spectacular day. Instead I went over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County). The two 1st cycle Thayer's Gulls (Andrews, 3/26) were on the sandspit near the southwest marina. I did not find the adult Lesser Black-backed Gull today (but did yesterday on the sandspit).

I looked unsuccessfully for the Semipalmated Plover (Tracyd, 3/26) that I did report yesterday off the bird observation platform, Prairie Loop. When I scoped the southeast mudflats from the southeast end of the lake, the Semipalmated Plover was hunkered down along the shoreline there! It was closer to the Prairie Loop than the southeast end of the reservoir. It blended in well with the wet mud. Only when a Killdeer walk by, did it raise up for a while and lay back down.

Still wanting to avoid chores, I drove down to the McLain Gravel Pit (Douglas) south of Franktown. There is a little pullover near the locked and signed gate (not far south of highway 86). First birds seen at the north end of the gravel pit were a male and female Barrow's Goldeneye (Lee, 2/28). I would bet this is the same pair that spent several weeks farther north at the 20 Road Pond in Parker.

While looking over the many Lesser Scaup for a Greater Scaup (none found) I came across an interesting duck. I have no idea what it was. Hopefully the photos I took will come out; however the duck swam rapidly quite a ways toward the south middle of the pit. The duck was noticeable smaller than a Common Goldeneye, but its body looked like a goldeneye. Its head was white until the eye line, than black to the top of its head. When it flicked its wings, I did not see any white on the wings. Its bill appeared thinner and shorter than nearby Common Goldeneye. When it dove several dozen times, it stayed under water at least twice as long as the goldeneyes.

A few Mountain Bluebirds and Western Bluebirds were found south of Castlewood Canyon State Park. No Turkey Vultures were found.

No comments: