Thursday, March 31, 2011

Cherry Creek Reservoir

March 31, 2011

Richard Stevens:

While out doing chores again Thursday, I stopped by Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County). Winds were 19+ mph, with gusts to 29 mph (probably more above the sheltered reservoir).

I did not walk down to the southwest sandspit; however, I could see an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull from the southwest marina. Many gulls and American White Pelicans were hunkered down there.

I went by the bird platform at the Prairie Loop hoping to see and get better photographs of the Mew Gull found yesterday. It was not among 160 Ring-billed Gulls, 24+ California Gulls and 9 Herring Gulls.

While watching a Greater Yellowlegs, to my surprise, the Semipalmated Plover walked out to the mudflats 20 feet from my position. I did not see it yesterday. It must have been along the cattails out of sight. Anyway, it is still there.

One Burrowing Owl continues along Tower Road at 0.3 miles north of 56th avenue. It is quite far west of Tower Road. At least 14 Great-tailed Grackles continue at the Picadilly Tree Nursery feedlot (152nd and Picadilly Road).

No comments: