Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Search for Sprague's Pipits and Bonny Reservoir

October 2, 2010

Richard Stevens:

A friend who owns a ranch in Sedgwick County called to report a possible Sharp-tailed Sparrow in his cattails. In 2000, he also reported one that turned out to really be one. So Bryan and I headed up to his ranch. We searched for about 3 hours; without success. These reports are not to be ignored in my opinion. The ranchers spent hours each day on their lands and sometimes do run across an uncommon bird.

On 10/11/2000, I fortunately ran into him while walking along the highway along side of his property. He stopped to see what I was doing (at the time, looking for migrating sparrows). While he thought I was "wasting my time", he entertained the concept and gave me a tour of his ranch. I gave him my bird book and we have been friends ever since.

It started a great story about how I drove home from our first meeting. As I walked in the door, the phone was ringing. He was beaming because he was looking at a Sharp tailed Sparrow. I had devoted years searching for Sharp tailed Sparrow on the eastern plains. While I doubted as a 2-day-old birder that he was looking at one, I drove the 180+ miles back to his ranch. As it turned out, he did have a Sharp tailed Sparrow! Again, that's birding!

Bryan and I continued to Bonny Reservoir (Yuma County) where we enjoyed another great day of birding. Winds were mild and temperatures in the 80s.

Our first stop was Yuma County Road 2, where Le Conte's Sparrows have been reported in the past; none today. We then walked the Hopper Ponds area where Bryan yelled Le Conte's Sparrow! After waiting another 20 minutes, we got good views of a Le Conte's Sparrow!

We searched the field below the Bonny Reservoir dam where Sprague's Pipits have been spotted in past years. No sign of any today, a couple of Eastern Bluebirds flew about.

I then wanted to check a field east of Hale (below the Bonny Reservoir dam) where I had found a Baird's Sparrow a few years back. That would have been quite a day to have both rare sparrows sighted on the same day; did not happen.

While walking along the Republican River north of the Hale Ponds, we found a Magnolia Warbler and Palm Warbler! Again not bad, consolation prizes for missing a Baird's Sparrow.

When we drove back to Wagon Wheel Campgrounds for a final check, Bryan pointed out a Short-eared Owl flying over the field to the south!

At dusk, we played a Common Poorwill recording south of Hale Ponds and had a Common Poorwill answer us! As a final bird, we walked north of Hale Ponds and enticed the Eastern Screech-Owl in responding to our tapes.

No comments: