Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Birding Around Denver, Day 2

October 12, 2010

Richard Stevens:

Weather-wise, today was as yesterday was predicted. It rained until mid-afternoon. Winds were 10+ mph. Perfect birding weather. Unfortunately, I did not feel like spending another six hours at Barr Lake. I enjoyed the walk yesterday and had no reason to repeat it. Instead, I went to Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County).

Birding was slow. I was not able to relocate the Swamp Sparrow(s) around Mary Lake. Few birds were found around Lake Ladora or the Rod & Gun Club Bird Blind. Havana Ponds had almost no birds around it.

From Rocky Mountain Arsenal and went south down Havana to Bluff Lake Nature Area (Denver County). Again, there were few birds around the pond. I could not scare up any of the Soras that nested there this summer. One Virginia Rail called briefly.

The lone uncommon bird was a Cassin's Vireo on the north side of the Cottonwoods at the northwest corner of the property.

My next stop was the Wildlife Area at Highway 7 & Hwy 85 in Brighton (sorry I always misplace the name). No need to visit, there was no bird activity.

I ended my birding day under partly cloudy skies at Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld). No owls (Long-eared or Short-eared) were found this day.

I did hit the motherlode of warblers. Yellow-rumped Warblers numbered at 116 (flocks, 51, 23, 42). A Nashville Warbler was seen in the windbreak across from Pond 7. A Palm Warbler was at the windbreak at Pond 8.

One last bird, a Townsend's Warbler was south of Highway 52 around Pond 4.

I waited until after sunset, no owls, not even a Great Horned Owl appeared.

No comments: