Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Douglas County Birding

August 20, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I wanted to conduct a through search for Red-headed and Lewis's Woodpeckers at the Cheesman Reservoir (Douglas County) area today. Suggestions that they nest in the area have circulated for several years. Long story, short; neither was found in a ten hour search.

My trek started at 4:00 am when I drove down Highway 67 to Sugar Creek Road. I stopped every 0.2 miles and play owl recordings (Northern Pygmy and Northern Saw-whet). The only owl heard was a Northern Pygmy-Owl at my very first stop.

I parked at the Cheesman Canyon Trail parking area and walked west up Highway 126. Most of my target woodpeckers were reported along highway 126 (especially around and behind the green trailer).

Green-tailed Towhees, Lincoln's Sparrows and Broad-tailed Hummingbirds fluttered about the ditch along hwy 126. A Golden Eagle flew by at one time.

Having not succeeding with that endeavor, I hiked the Cheesman Canyon Trail to the reservoir. It is about 3 miles up the trail before the reservoir comes into view. Along the way, three American Three-toed Woodpeckers were found. A forest fire hit the area a few years ago, making for prime Three-toed Woodpecker habitat.

The many birds around Cheesman Reservoir included three species of nuthatches, Pine Siskins, Red Crossbills, Mountain Bluebirds, Western Wood-pewees and an Olive-sided Flycatcher.

I spent several hours at the reservoir, after a leisure lunch, headed back down to my car. After exploring Stoney Pass Road (northwest to Wellington Lake), I turned back east to Deckers and then north to Sedalia.

It only took about 15 minutes to find one of the American Three-toed Woodpeckers at Rampart Range Road and Highway 67. At least one pair has set up territory northeast corner.

A flock of Cedar Waxwings flew around the Sedalia cemetery. Other than that, it was quiet.

My trek continued east as I decided to search for Northern Saw-whet Owls at Castlewood Canyon State Park (Douglas) at dusk.

No Bobolinks were found on the Winkler Ranch (Douglas), which is about 1.5 miles south of Castlewood Canyon State Park. A few Mountain Bluebirds flew around; no Western Bluebirds were among them.

A Cordilleran Flycatcher called from the hillside west of Castlewood Canyon Road (0.2 miles south of the Winkler ranch's entrance). I once read that Cordilleran Flycatchers were the only "Empidonax" species that sang in the fall.

Half a dozen Vesper Sparrows, 2 Savannah Sparrows and 2 Song Sparrows landed on the fence line. At dusk, I played recordings at several locations in Castlewood Canyon. Surprisingly, a Northern Saw-whet Owl called back (near the old parking area for the falls, now gone, just a guardrail).

An hour after dark I walked the subdivision of homes west of the park (North Willow Lake Drive). Another Northern Saw-whet Owl called between the yelping dogs.

No comments: