Sunday, March 7, 2010

Unsuccessful Search for Wheat Ridge Greenbelt Rusty Blackbirds

March 6, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I spent about 3 hours searching for the Rusty Blackbirds at Wheat Ridge Greenbelt (Jefferson County). I hiked west from Youngfield, north to the grainery (perhaps a mile north) and back. No sign of any Rusty Blackbirds. The area where they were observed yesterday had about 10 people panning for gold (guess they find gold now and then, or they would not be spending the day doing it?). This activity could have forced the Rusty Blackbirds to move.

It was not until just before I gave up that even saw one blackbird. Finally, a male Red-winged Blackbird flew out of the brush just upstream from the orange cone in Clear Creek. A Song Sparrow was in the general area also.

Next, I hiked east from Youngfield to Prospect Park and back. Again no sign of any Rusty Blackbirds.

Afterwards, I drove up to Genesee Mountain Park (Jefferson). No Williamson's Sapsuckers were found (and not expected for another month). I did see a flock of Pine Siskins and 8 Red Crossbills.

No comments: