Sunday, March 21, 2010

Aurora Reservoir and the South Platte at 88th Avenue

March 15, 2010

Richard Stevens:

Bill Cryder called me early (5:00 am). He had found an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at Aurora Reservoir on 3/14.

Bill and I hiked down from the south side of Aurora Reservoir and relocated the Lesser Black-backed Gull. It was with hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls and 2 Herring Gulls just south of mile marker 4.5. By 8:00 am most of the gulls included the Lesser Black-backed Gull took off toward the landfill north of the reservoir.

In the afternoon, I relocated the pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes on the South Platte River. They were 20 yards upstream (south) of the green/white tower (which is about 3/4 miles south of 88th Avenue).

West Gravel Lakes Park opened today. I expected to enter the park and search for the Long-tailed Ducks that had wintered mostly on the northern West Gravel Lake. I also expected that I would be one of the few people there. In that I was greatly mistaken as, over a hundred anglers were after the fish where no one had fished since last fall.

There was no sign of the 3 Long-tailed Ducks. All three West Gravel Lakes had few ducks (less than half a dozen on each).

No comments: