Sunday, October 19, 2008

Jaeger-less day; Great day at Barr Lake

October 19, 2008

Richard Stevens:

After missing the Long-tailed Jaeger at Aurora Reservoir this morning, Jerry Petrosky, Bill Cryder, and I scoped both Quincy and Cherry Creek Reservoirs (Arapahoe County); without success. Eventually we split up and I went over to Barr Lake (Adams).

No Burrowing Owls along the DIA Owl Loop (has not been any reported since 10/7). At least one male Great-tailed Grackle was seen near the houses along Picadilly Road and south of Bromley Road (152nd avenue).

At Barr Lake, I was dropped off at Picadilly Road and Lark Bunting Lane and hiked to the reservoir and then along the northwestern side from the dam (mile marker 6.0) to mile marker 3.5 and back.

In the past I have seen many sparrows along the weedy lined Lark Bunting Lane. Today I found none. In fact there were few land birds along my whole trek. Few (none except for a couple of Mourning Doves) were around the old stone building at the northern end of the dam.

I scoped the lake from the northern end of the dam and through the trees at many stops along the hike. The Common Loon was observed from the dam. I never did see the Pomarine Jaeger. Many Western Grebes and common gulls swam on the lake.

At the Cottonwoods at mile marker 5.1, I saw what I thought would be a Brown Creeper (yeah a land bird). Upon closer and longer looks it turned out to be a Black-and-white Warbler crawling along the branches.

The ponds across the railroad tracks had about 30 Common Grackles, many Red-winged Blackbirds, and one Yellow-headed Blackbird in its surrounding cattails.

At mile marker 4.5 a juvenile Laughing Gull was observed flying from the west along the shore line. It landed near a small group of Canada Geese and walked up and down the shore. I was able to watch the Laughing Gull for a good 20 minutes before continuing my hike.

I stopped at mile marker 4.4 to inspect another interesting Gull when I noticed through the trees and weeds a Black-bellied Plover walking the shore.

The best stop was at mm 4.3 (across from the yellow house with green roof). The "sand"/muddy spit here had many gulls on it. I could also see the "sand" bar off to the distant south. A Common Tern stood with many gulls on the closer spit. Many White Pelicans and Double-crested Cormorants stood in the distance.

The gulls were stirred up several times and I hoped it was because the Pomarine Jaeger was flying by; it was not the case. Finally the adult Laughing Gull flew in from the west and landed on the near "spit". I watched it for about 20 minutes before returning to my ride (who was sitting in the Wendy's) across the highway from Barr Lake.

I stopped and scoped the lake from many spots; again not seeing any Jaeger. The long walk back was not wasted as I stopped and got a great deal on a shed at Lowe's Hardware Store!

No comments: