Sunday, February 10, 2008

Raptor Tour on Eastern Plains

February 9, 2008

I led a group of five birders on a raptor trip to Douglas and Elbert Counties.

We started out by going by my friend's home near Franktown and seeing the Northern Saw-whet Owl that has been around for about 2 weeks now.

We continued south and east and enjoyed great success with a raptor count of:

Bald Eagle: 1 adult (quite far from any body of water)
Northern Harrier: 5 (2 males, 3 females)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1, in Kiowa)
Cooper's Hawk (Elizabeth cemetery)
Northern Goshawk (Castlewood Canyon SP)
Red-tailed Hawk: 9
Ferruginous Hawk: 2
Rough-legged Hawk: 7
Golden Eagle: 2 (adult & juvenile; Castlewood Canyon)
American Kestrel: 13
Merlin: 1
Prairie Falcon: 2

We also found a flock of 14 Mountain Bluebirds, 3 Northern Shrikes, and a Great Horned Owl (in Kiowa).

Afterwards, we drove through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). Got a better look at the swan (which appears to be a Mute Swan, more on that later).

At the eastern end near the sailboard area there were many gulls. Just as we pulled up, an adult Bald Eagle flew over and scattered the gulls. The gulls took off and circled overhead (like a tornado funnel). The Bald Eagle continued to fly around the "funnel" but eventually flew north.

In the group were the "Glaucous-winged Gull" and also another large white gull (perhaps the bird that Terry Michaels had reported earlier). This gull was much whiter than the "Glaucous-winged Gull" and had a two toned (black & pink) bill (unlike the "Glaucous-winged Gull's" black bill) and white primaries. It was either a 1st or 2nd Glaucous Gull.

Our birding day ended with an uneventful drive along the DIA Owl Loop north of the airport.

Note on Friday's Swan Sighting at Cherry Creek Reservoir:

Concerning the Swan at Cherry Creek Reservoir, I have to admit that I got sloppy on that one. I assumed the ID of other birder who had seen the bird much closer than I. Lesson learned.

When I observed the bird on Friday, it was cold, windy (I arrived at 6:25am). The weather did not encourage me to stay for longer looks at any birds.

The swan was quite far away. The swan had rose up and stretched its wings twice for me. I had noticed considerable amount of brown in the wings and tail. I also thought the size strange for a Tundra Swan. I made a mental note to look up the details when I returned home; however by 8:00 pm that night, it slipped my mind.

I agree with Bill Maynard that the bird is a Mute Swan. Size, the way it held its neck, etc.

Unfortunately, there is not much way to prove whether the bird is wild. There have been other free flying Mute Swans in Colorado. Too bad we can not tie down its origin.

References:
Sibley "Guide to Birds"
"Guide to British Birds" Collins
"Birds of Britain and Europe" Peterson, Mountfort, Hollom


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Want to thank you for allowing us to come along on your raptor tour. It was a fantastic day!
Jerry Petrosky, Denver