Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Jefferson County; Pine Valley Ranch & Reynolds Park

February 4, 2008

Bob Gould and I went up to Reynolds Park hoping to run into a Dusky Grouse, Northern Pygmy-Owl, or American Three-toed Woodpecker. We found none of them today. No owls or grouse around the main parking area.

There was too much snow to make the 0.7 mile trek up to the main location for Three-toed Woodpeckers. We usually find them around the intersection of the three trails (Eagle's View, Oxen Draw, & Raven's Roost).

Instead we drove over to Pine Valley Ranch Park (also Jefferson County). There we enjoyed success. A male American Three-toed Woodpecker was going from tree to tree just south of the intersection of the Buck Gulch Trail and Strawberry Jack Trail.

On the return trip to our car, we ran across a Hairy Woodpecker, 2 White-breasted Nuthatches, and a small flock of Pygmy Nuthatches.

Weather was horrible. It snowed most of the morning, so we decided to head for home and not look for owls south of Sedalia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rich,

I have seen the largest owl of my life in Parker, CO. I have only seen it once back in 2001, but they still visit near my yard as I hear them every year, usually in the fall. I heard them again this morning (february) which prompted my search. I am guessing they are great horned owls... the one that I saw had to be nearly 3 feet tall.. it was the largest owl I had ever seen and my son found it first and called me to see it right out his window on my neighbors roof.

Anyway, just wanted to share that.