Saturday, February 9, 2008

Birding South and West of Denver

February 8, 2008

Well before sunrise, I drove the DIA Owl Loop hoping to see a Short-eared Owl flying around in the moonlight reflecting off the snow covered ground. Nothing appeared to be moving about this morning and I continued over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County).

It was still pretty dark when I arrived at Cherry Creek Reservoir. I could tell that the previously reported Tundra Swan was not at the eastern end. I also could not pick it out at the western end.

There were two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls and an adult Great Black-backed Gull on the ice around the open water closer to the swim beach. Hundreds of White-cheeked Geese obscured the view of many of the other waterfowl. Later I returned and did find the juvenile Tundra Swan in this open water area.

On the way to the southwest marina, I observed the Northern Shrike atop one of the few trees in the field just west of woods where the main road crosses Cherry Creek. He is usually here or over on top of the Russian Olive trees along the entrance to the shooting range (not far to the southwest).

At the southwest marina, hundreds of White-cheeked Geese filled the small open area. A blue phase Snow Goose was among them. Some Common Mergansers, an American Coot or two, and a few Common Goldeneyes were also here. It was from here that I first saw the Tundra Swan stretching its wings back at the open water area on the other side of the lake.

The 1st cycle Glaucous-winged Gull was standing around on the ice here surrounded by hundreds of Ring-billed Gulls, a few Herring Gulls and one California Gull. Unfortunately, an adult Bald Eagle that was perched by the end of the fishing pier flew over and scared all the gulls (before there was enough light for a photo). I am reminded that most Glaucous-winged Gulls east of their range could be hybrids of some degree, so I called the bird a "Glaucous-winged type".

From here, I drove over to Louviers (along Hwy 85). On the way, I made a quick stop at Walker Lake (west of Franktown). A pair of Common Goldeneyes was all that was on the lake.

Returning to Parker, I cut over to I25 by way of 20 Mile Road. In the field south of 20 Mile Road and just west of Parker Road (Hwy 83) a Greater White-fronted Goose was among 600 White-cheeked Geese. Most of this flock flew northwest and I relocated them at Challenger Regional Park (northwest of originally sighting).

As soon as I got out of the car at Louviers, I could see the pair of Lewis's Woodpeckers flying around the slanted Ponderosa Pine (0.6 miles east of N. Peterson Road & W. Airport Road). It appeared that one of them went into a hole on several occasions. They also fed on something stuck in the bark of the tree.

Several dozen European Starlings flew into the tree and one of the Lewis's Woodpeckers spent much time chasing them away. When not in the Ponderosa Pine tree by the service road, the Lewis's Woodpeckers would fly to the snag several hundred yards to the south. Hopefully they will nest in the area!

I was close to Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas) and decided to check it out. As expected, there was not much moving around. The lake is completely frozen. Few gulls were around. No waxwings were found flying around the campgrounds.

My next stop was South Platte Park and Carson Nature Center. It was not open yet, so I could not ask if the Northern Mockingbird was still around. It did not show up during my 30 minute stay.

Nearby McLellan Reservoir was also slow. No gulls (thousands reported a few days ago). Only a few Common Goldeneyes swam in the lake which was about 10 percent open water.

From here, I headed back east and searched for geese at the Denver Tech Center at Dry Creek Road east of I25. While there were many White-cheeked Geese (definitely a few Cackling Geese among hundreds of Canada Geese), no unusual geese could be found (no Greater White-fronted or Brants).

Before going to my friend's home west of Castlewood Canyon State Park, I made a quick drive through the park. Not much was found. No bluebirds were seen along Castlewood Canyon Road near the Winkler Ranch. A Northern Shrike was about 0.2 miles north of Lake Gulch Drive.

At my friend's home, we again located the Northern Saw-whet Owl. He definitely has a favorite tree. The neighborhood is gated so not accessible. Perhaps we can have an owl tour when the weather warms up?

No comments: