Thursday, December 6, 2007

Search for White-winged Crossbills and Owls

December 5, 2007

At first light I went searching for the Sharp-tailed Grouse and previously reported Bohemian Waxwings up Fish Creek Drainage (Routt). No sign of either. Perhaps the weather has not been bad enough to bring the Grouse up to their traditional wintering grounds?

I wandered back to Jackson County and visited an old friend. His feeders have been visited by 800+ Rosy Finches for about a week now. They show up with good regularity. He also had a White-throated Sparrow and Lincoln's Sparrow coming to his feeders. He had reported seeing 2 White-winged Crossbills which of course did not show up during my stay. A consolation prize was a Northern Saw-whet Owl that my friend sees about every 3rd day or so.

After watching 600+ Rosy Finches come to my friend's feeders (Jackson), no White-winged Crossbills, I headed east toward the Colorado State Forest. I looked around Walden on the way, but did not find any additional Rosy Finches. Road conditions discouraged me from driving over to Lake Johns or Delaney Buttes Wildlife Areas.

Finally…………a flock of 30+ Bohemian Waxwings (Jackson County!) flew around the KOA Campgrounds at the entrance to the Colorado State Forest! Again road conditions discouraged me from wandering too far off the main highway.

Three Rosy Finches visited the feeders behind the State Forest Visitor's Center. I couldn't find any of the 9+ American Three-toed Woodpeckers reported there a while back. One of the rangers hears a Boreal Owl after dark some nights. However, one is not going to call during the day.

Returned to my friend's ranch to search for Greater Sage-Grouse and see if the White-winged Crossbills had shown up.

Near dusk, we wandered to the back of his property and found 3 Greater Sage-Grouse. Some days, he and his wife see them from their kitchen windows. They come up and eat the seed dropped below the feeders.

After dark I stopped at 4 previous Boreal Owl locations around Cameron Pass; without success. However…………..it had started snowing around 2:00pm. Winds were 50+ mph and snow appeared coming down at a 45 degree angle by dusk. Not the best conditions to locate an owl.

Once I dropped down off of Cameron Pass (hwy 14 heading east, Larimer) winds had quieted down. Owls were also quiet at the campgrounds and picnic areas along Highway 14.

No comments: