Friday, December 7, 2007

Goose Hunt

December 6, 2007

Drove over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) at first light after spending most of the night searching for owls. A "taiga" Greater White-fronted Goose was with hundreds of White-cheeked Geese at the soccer practice field below the Cherry Creek Reservoir dam at Village Greens Park (southwest of the State Park).

I searched the reservoir proper but found few of the birds that were around on Monday (12/3). A suspect dark mantled gull, Ring-billed size or smaller kept my attention. It kept its head in its back; so I was unable to see its bill. Finally after 20 minutes it lifted its head and turned out to be a Ring-billed Gull (mantle was dark enough and white crest large enough for it be possibly be a Mew Gull).

Most of the gulls and Common Goldeneyes were off the east side of the Lake Loop. There could have been a Thayer's Gull, but I was not able to positively id it. I could not pick out a Barrow's Goldeneye among the dozens of Common Goldeneyes. I also could not find the Long-tailed Duck that was on the reservoir last Monday.

Afterwards I wandered over to Inverness and the Denver Tech Center. My White-cheeked Geese count for the day was over 25,000! Not one Brant among them, I only found the one Greater White-fronted Goose early in the morning.

No comments: