Saturday, November 10, 2007

Enjoyable Morning at Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 10, 2007

After missing the Rusty Blackbirds at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) on previous two afternoons, I thought I would try to find them in the morning. I didn't, however enjoyed a fantastic morning at the State Park. My arrival was timed for sunrise (6:38 am). Winds were 4 mph or less; temperatures around 50 degrees.

I first walked the road going below the dam from the southwest marina. When getting to the end of the road, the Red Phalarope was perhaps 25 feet off the dam. It eventually swam toward the center of the lake. I could see 2 Pacific Loons together off the swim beach and 4 Common Loons together off the handicapped fisherperson's dock.

No Clark's Grebes among plenty of Western Grebes, Eared Grebes, American Coots, and Horned Grebes. I rushed over to the bird platform at the Cottonwood Creek Loop hoping to find the Rusty Blackbirds; none were in sight. The bonus was an adult and juvenile Red-throated Loon about 20 yards off the observatory platform. This was about 7:40am. By 8:00am several boats were on the lake and most of the waterfowl swam to the center.

While watching the Red-throated Loons, at least one adult and one juvenile Bonaparte's Gull flew over them.

I then searched for Swamp Sparrows from the Cottonwood Creek Wetlands Pond to the southeast end of the lake loop; without success. Many White-crowned Sparrows, Song Sparrows, and American Tree Sparrows were found along the way. The greatest number (41 American Tree, 6 Song, 11 White-crowned) were found about halfway between the Cottonwood Creek and Lake Loops. There is a small stream entering into the lake. The bushes here had plenty of sparrows and Dark-eyed Juncos.

I also found a Long-eared Owl (understandably I can not give the location due to the high foot traffic area). It is a good idea to keep an eye out in the thickets.

Besides the visible mudflats from the bird observatory platform, there are considerable mudflats reached by walking east over the Cottonwood Creek wooden bridge and then taking the first dirt path north. If the Rusty Blackbirds are to return, these mudflats maybe a good location to find them.

Also found were a male Northern Harrier (not helping my Swamp Sparrow search by flying back and forth in front of me), 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk (Cottonwood Creek dried pond area, west of parking area), 2 Belted Kingfishers, 1 Virginia Rail, and many Red-winged Blackbirds (at Gazebo parking area west of Cottonwood Creek).

I should have stopped there when I first passed it as there were 200+ Red-winged Blackbirds. The Rusty Blackbirds may have been among them, but I hurried over the bird platform. Of course, by the time I returned several dog walkers and moved the Red-winged Blackbird on to somewhere else.

A pleasant surprise was a flock of 8 Black-capped Chickadees and 2 White-breasted Nuthatches in the bushes near the Cottonwood Creek old wooden bridge. Most chickadees I have observed together in several years now.


No comments: