Sunday, August 26, 2007

Search for Painted Redstart at Dixon Reservoir

August 26, 2007

I decided to drive to Fort Collins to search for Dixie Smith’s Painted Redstart at Dixon Reservoir. When I arrived in Fort Collins around 2:30 pm rain was pouring down. However, it stopped by the time I reached the west side of town and Dixon Reservoir.

I spent about 2.5 hours searching for the Painted Redstart; without success. Nevertheless, some interesting birds were observed.

Below the eastern end of the willows at the eastern end of the dam, two Soras walked on the dead log in the water. Five or six Cedar Waxwings flew out of the same willows hawking insects.

While painting the trees below (north of) the dam with my binoculars, I picked out a Yellow-billed Cuckoo at the western end. Winds were coming strong out of the south and pushing many birds north into thick trees in a restricted area. So the Painted Redstart could have gone unnoticed there.

North below the eastern end of the dam there were a few Chokecherries. A Northern Waterthrush walked around a small puddle (very small pond). Five Wilson's Warblers, two Yellow Warblers, and two Gray Catbirds were also here.

I decided to walk a short distance south below the dam even though mosquitoes were starting to come out in droves. From the parking area north of the preserve there is a path leading to the trail over the dam. From where the two meet, I hiked 40 yards south and then took a path heading east for 30 yards. Here I ran into a flock of birds feeding low to the ground. This loose group was made up of 9 Wilson's Warblers, 2 Yellow Warblers, 1 MacGillivray's Warbler, and an American Redstart.

This group of birds took much patience to see. They stayed low to the ground and in the thick bushes. The hundreds of mosquitoes buzzing around did not help my patience. With time, I was able to obtain good looks at all the birds.

Mosquitoes increased in numbers and I quickly departed.

No comments: