Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Ruby-throated Hummingbird & Boulder County

Around 7:00am I sat at John Vanderpoel’s backyard in Niwot (Boulder County). The Ruby-throated Hummingbird visited his feeders within 2 minutes. I observed the bird two additional times before I left.

It was a cool, overcast day (after yesterday’s record 97 degrees), so I decided to search for Bobolinks and Dickcissels in Boulder County. In this I enjoy little success. I checked Pella Crossing Park, Lagerman Reservoir, Bobolink Trail and Bobolink Meadow off Baseline Road, Boulder Valley Ranch, Doudy Draw, and the South Mesa Trail.

A couple of Mountain Bluebirds were at the Boulder Valley Ranch Open Space. I found 2 Grasshopper Sparrows at the plateau trailhead open space. I also made a quick climb up Gregory Canyon and did not find the Scarlet Tanager seen by many a few weeks ago.

I only walked to the banding area at Barr Lake (Adams). The risk of a mosquito bite was too much and I turned around. There was at least one House Wren still around.

A drive of the DIA Owl Loop found Burrowing Owls at:

7; 3.4 miles east of Tower Road & 96th avenue

2; Powhaton Road & 128th avenue

8; 0.1 mile north of Tower Road & 56th avenue (record high)

My main target was to see if Swainson's Hawks were staging on the plains north of the airport yet. Only 3 Swainson's Hawks were observed.

No comments: