Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Super Last Day of Birding in 2017

December 31, 2017

Richard Stevens:

It was a great last day of 2017.  I assisted on the CoBus Summit County Christmas Count then returned to Denver around noon.

Christmas Count List included 481 Gray-crowned Rosy Finches, 39 Hepburn's, 4 Black Rosy Finches, 193 Brown-capped Rosy Finches, American Three-toed Woodpecker, Northern Pygmy-Owl, Boreal Owl, White-tailed Ptarmigan and Barrow's Goldeneyes.  

I stopped by 64th and York in Denver and saw Loch Kilpatrick.  Shortly after he left, I found the Black Phoebe catching bugs around the small island around the middle leg of the I270 bridge north of above intersection.  Took about 100 photos and headed for Standley Lake.  One Double-crested Cormorant was also here.

The Snowy Owl was not found in the three circuits we made around Standley Lake.  We then sat at the southern parking area until sunset.  Then I scoped the lake and south shore from the southeastern entrance to the park.

I could see the Snowy Owl on the roof of the picnic tables off to the west.  We parked at Queen and 88th avenue and I crossed 88th avenue. The Snowy Owl put on a nice show.  He flew up to 88th avenue twice and circled the area, coming almost overhead.  When I left, he was back on the green roof of the picnic tables.

Several birders had walked to the picnic pavilion northeast of the southern parking area.  I am not sure if you can see the eastern picnic pavilion from that one up on the hill.  I did ask and no one reported the Snowy Owl.  Either therefore, he flew in after sunset or no one looked at the eastern picnic table.

Unfortunately when this happened at 4:55 pm, it was too dark for a photo.  It maybe worth the effort to check the area well after sunset tomorrow.  The Snowy Owl had been reported here in previous days after sunset.

I have been up all night owling, going to bed, will have to check Black Phoebe photos tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

No comments: