Sunday, September 24, 2017

Birding Arapahoe County On A Rainy Day

September 23, 2017

I enjoyed the cool and rainy day by birding in Arapahoe County.  First stop was Aurora Reservoir.  No birds were on the scuba beach shore, so I walked in to the reservoir from the south side (round trip about 2 miles).

Among the many gulls on the shore at mile 2.5 were a Lesser Black-backed Gull and a Sabine's Gull.  Two Bonaparte's Gulls flew around Lone Tree Cove (off mile 3.0).

Next, I hike the first mile of Quincy Reservoir.  A Hermit Thrush was in the brush south of the two tan houses with solar panels.

A Long-billed Dowitcher walked the shore along the island to the south. 

Two Blue Jays made quite a racket in the willows/cottonwoods at the dry canal south of the brown house with glassed in porch.  A Long-eared Owl was found deep in the underbrush.

Three Say's Phoebes were encountered as I continued east to mile marker 1.0.

My last stop of the day was Cherry Creek Reservoir.  It was pouring rain when I arrived.  Like Terry Michaels I found most of the roads blocked due to a weekend demonstration (continues Sunday).

I walked in from the Shop Creek parking area to Pelican Point.  The only shorebirds were two Killdeer, one Baird's Sandpiper and one Least Sandpiper.  The Semipalmated Plover may still be there as part of the shore is behind willows.

Soaking wet, I retreated to home, skipping the Prairie Loop and southwest marina.

No comments: