Friday, March 18, 2016

Arapahoe County Reservoirs

March 18, 2016

Eastern Denver received 4-6 inches of snow last night.  High temperatures today reach high 30s; winds were 6-8 mph at 3:00 pm.

I managed to stop at a couple of Arapahoe Reservoirs while out doing chores.  Few gulls and waterfowl were at Cherry Creek Reservoir.  The Bald Eagle count was 9 (7 of which were adults).

Quincy Reservoir was missed as I detoured around to eat lunch.  I stopped at Aurora Reservoir and hiked around for a couple of hours.  It was snowing at 3:00 pm.

Few birds were observed from the swim beach parking area.  About 600 gulls were at the scuba beach diving area (Northeast corner of the lake).  Then I made the long walk to the northwest corner of the dam.

Four thousand+ gulls were on the cement dam.  When I got to the dam tower, I sat down and scoped the gulls.  A Glaucous Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull were among the many gulls (also Ring-billed, dozens of California, two Herring and two Franklin's).  One Common Loon was swimming around the northwest corner of the lake!

A male Mountain Bluebird hawked insects at the archery parking area.

The Glaucous & Lesser Black-backed Gulls are most likely the two that are reported now and then at Cherry Creek Reservoir (9 miles to the west-northwest).  I have never heard of the two species reported at both lakes on the same day.

My birding day ended with a drive around the DIA Owl Loop.  The lone Burrowing Owl is still at the southwest corner of Trussville & 114th avenue.  My hope that the inclement would bring out an early Short-eared Owl hunting for food.  That did not happen.

No comments: