Wednesday, February 16, 2011

A Day Birding Along Highway 14

February 15, 2011

Richard Stevens:

By the way, I also heard a Boreal Owl that could be recorded on 2/15!

My birding day started before sunrise near Coalmont where I search unsuccessfully for Greater Sage-Grouse. There were plenty of tracks in the snow; however no birds.

At the Colorado State Forest Visitor's Center, forty plus Rosy Finches visited the feeders. I did not see any Black Rosy Finches.

A search around Ranger Lakes Campgrounds found few birds today. I snow shoed down to the Crags Campgrounds, also few birds.

I visited several friends' ranches to catch up on owls and birds in the area.

After noon, I started back toward Fort Collins. I stopped at every Campgrounds and picnic areas long highway 14. A Northern Pygmy-Owl was found at one of them.

At sunset, I stood at Wellington Wildlife Area. Unfortunately, no Short-eared Owls flew about this evening.

No comments: