Thursday, January 28, 2010

Wheat Ridge Greenbelt: Search for a Wren

January 27, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I drove over to Wheat Ridge Greenbelt (Jefferson County) to look for the "wren" species reported yesterday by Paula Hansley.

In the morning, few birds were moving about the creek along the "tree bridge trail".

I made the short detour over to Red Rocks Park (Jefferson). The Golden-crowned Sparrow was under the platform feeder behind the Trading Post. The Chipping Sparrow was a no show.

I returned to Wheat Ridge Greenbelt where an adult Bald Eagle was standing sentinel over Prospect Pond. As I walked up the "tree bridge trail" a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Song Sparrows, many Dark-eyed Juncos and a Spotted Towhee were encountered.

Two Cedar Waxwings came down for a drink at the creek between the wooden boardwalk and sign "restoration area".

Finally, I heard a wren in the same area. However, in my two hour stay, it never came out of the thicker brush. My thoughts: 1. it sounded like a Winter Wren not a Marsh Wren. 2. I played a recording; the wren responded but did not come out of the brush. Marsh Wrens are not shy and usually approach a recording while Winter Wrens are quite shy. To me, this indicates the bird was likely a Winter Wren. However, having not seen the bird, I will not report it as such.

I continued my walk and found a White-throated Sparrow below the hillside, west of the "warbler area" of the tree bridge trail. I also found an Eastern Screech-Owl at its usual spot (which I prefer to not list to prevent further disturbance to the owl).

I have not been birding Wheat Ridge Greenbelt much in 2010 or late 2009. It is a shame what they are doing to one of the past "five best birding locations" in Colorado. More than half of the old tall cottonwoods have been cut down. Many additional cottonwoods are marked to suffer the same fate.

No comments: