Friday, January 8, 2010

More Wanderings Around Denver

January 5, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I cannot come up with an adjective for what a beautiful winter day Tuesday was! Temperatures in the mid 40s and calm winds until about 1:00 pm. Calm before the storm, tomorrow temperatures could be 20 degrees colder and snow predicted.

At 7:30am, I returned to Overland Park Pond and looked for the Barrow's Goldeneye around the Florida Avenue overpass. Not finding it within 50 yards north of the overpass, I walked south the 0.8 miles to the Evans overpass. Still I did not find the duck and started back to my car.

They maybe something said for looking too early in the morning. As I walked north, many ducks swam away from the near shore. They may spend the night along the near shore and escape detection as it cannot be seen from the bike path.

When I got back to Florida Avenue, the male Barrow's Goldeneye was just north of Florida Avenue (and of course, next to my car).

Next, I went over to Red Rocks Park for another look at the Golden-crowned Sparrow. As I was looking for a lazy day, I sat for an hour and watched the birds (from below the southern end of the deck behind the trading post).

The Golden-crowned Sparrow came twice to feed on the seed thrown on the ground by someone (thanks much!, I added seed later). The Chipping Sparrow came for long periods. Many Western Scrub-Jays, Dark-eyed Juncos and Spotted Towhees were there to watch also.

The Golden-crowned Sparrow had some interesting behavior. It would chase one particular female Dark-eyed Junco. Other juncos around the sparrow were not disturbed, but this one female (I watched, it was the same junco on each occasion) would be chased away from the seed. The sparrow chased it long distances along the stone wall and then returned to eat several times. I was left to wonder what was up with that junco?

On the way to 88th Avenue and Colorado Blvd, I stopped at the parking area at Lowell Blvd and I76. I picked up my American Dipper year bird and one Bob Canter sighting!

Headed next to South Platte River to see how many Long-tailed Ducks I could find (up to 4 reported on Monday). On the way over, I stopped and scoped the small open water area of the southeast corner of Tani Reservoir (Hwy 224, east of Platter River). There were hundreds of ducks including the male Barrow's Goldeneye. Also picked up my first Ruddy Ducks of 2010. No uncommon gulls were among the 400+ Ring-billed Gulls and 2 Herring Gulls.

Once at 88th and Colorado avenues, I walked the east side of the river along the fence for East Gravel Lakes. A male Long-tailed Duck was among many Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads, etc.

Next I walked to the north and west end of West Gravel Lakes. At first, there were no Long-tailed Ducks; after 15 minutes, two immature Long-tailed Ducks swam from around the dam's tower. The Long-tailed Ducks would dive for up to a minute and only surface for 5 seconds. It took a while to determine how many were there. I stayed for another 30 minutes to see if the adult female would show; she did not.

Needing more exercise (not really) I walked the west side of the Platte River down to the green and white tower/tank. Hoping to find the female Barrow's Goldeneye I observed recently (never did) I found a female Long-tailed Duck on the Platte (where river is split by "island/sandbar" whatever it would be called).

Four Long-tailed Ducks! Great stop! I digiscoped all but do not except anything but witness shots as most were through chain link fence and long distance away.

Update: After reviewing the photos, I believe the Long-tailed Duck on the Platte River was the same female observed on East Gravel Lake. It did fly up and head toward Tani Reservoir and could have circled back to East Gravel Lake (just North of Tani).

I ended my birding day back at Barr Lake State Park, again missing the Winter Wren reported last Sunday.

No comments: