Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Few Metro Lakes

November 14, 2009

Richard Stevens:

I birded a few metro reservoirs on this snowy day. Today's bird was Bonaparte's Gull, seen at each lake that I visited.

First stop was Barr Lake (Adams County). Two Common Loons were relocated while I scoped the lake from the boat dock. At least three Bonaparte's Gulls flew by. A dozen Great-tailed Grackle are still around the first house south of the Tree Nursery at Picadilly Road and 152nd Avenue (just north of Barr Lake).

I circled the East Gravel Lakes-Tani Reservoir area and relocated the male Barrow's Goldeneye on Tani Reservoir. It just was a little cold and damp to make the hike down the Platte River to see if additional Barrow's Goldeneyes have joined the first bird.

My next stop was Standley Lake (Jefferson). I hoped to relocate the Yellow-billed Loon but missed it for the second time in three days. At least five Common Loons and 2 Bonaparte's Gulls were observed.

I swung down to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) hoping to get a photo of the Mew Gull that I found at the swim beach yesterday. Searches of the swim beach, below the dam, the southwest marina, and the eastern sand spit did not turn up the bird. At least five Common Loons remain here. Bonaparte's Gull count was at least ten.

At sunset, I checked Lakecrest, Gateway Park (Adams). Not one White-cheeked Goose was on the lake. I assumed that some of the tens of hundreds of White-cheeked Geese seen on 11/10 and previous visits were resident birds; guess not.

The highlight however were 16 Bonaparte's Gulls swimming in a tight circle about 20 yards from the west end of the lake. They swam so close together that taking an exact count was quite difficult.

About 1000 White-cheeked Geese (Canada Geese and a few Cackling Geese) were at Emerald Strand Park (just east of Lakecrest).

No comments: