Saturday, November 21, 2009

Another Return to Cherry Creek Reservoir

November 21, 2009

Richard Stevens:

I did not have the whole day to bird but managed a few hours in the afternoon.

A quick check of Lake Ladora, Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County) found nothing unusual. I circled Mary's Lake while now and then playing a Swamp Sparrow recording. No Swamp Sparrows appeared but a Marsh Wren and Song Sparrow came out of the southeast cattails. A second Marsh Wren was at the middle of the east side cattails.

There were no white geese at Lakecrest at Gateway Park. Hundreds of Cackling Geese and some Canada Geese were there and at nearby Emerald Strand Park.

I ended my birding day at Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe). I arrived too early (most successful time is about 30 minutes before sunset and wait for the gulls to come to the southwest marina thereafter).

Gull count around the reservoir had to be 25 percent of yesterday's count. Most the loons and grebes had departed. Water level was much higher than yesterday. The southeast sand spit was covered with water. Yesterday, the Pelican count was 81, today I found six.

I scoped the lake from the Dam's Tower parking area, the northeast boat ramp and the bird platform, Cottonwood Creek Loop. It took about an hour to find any birds at the Bird Platform. Finally, I observed one Pacific Loon and Common Loon, both quite a ways north. They dove for a count of 30+ and only surfaced for a count of 4 or 5. Strong winds (20+ mph) produced high waves. There may have been a Red-necked Grebe in the middle of the lake; I finally gave up trying to see bits and pieces as it rode the waves.

Forty-five minutes at sunset to civil twilight was spent at the southwest marina. Only about 110 Ring-billed Gulls flew in to the poles around the marina before it was too dark to see. No California Gulls, no Herring Gulls, and no black backed gulls were found. I did count 3 Bonaparte's Gulls.

No comments: