Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Cherry Creek Reservoir and Douglas County

September 1, 2009

Richard Stevens:

I returned to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County) this morning and was successful in getting about 40 photos of the Buff-breasted Sandpiper. From 7:15am to 8:20am it wandered along the eastern shore of the pond at the new wetlands. Also present were Baird's Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, and 17 Wilson's Snipe!

Afterwards I drove down to Castlewood Canyon State Park, hung around the northwestern entrance to see if any vultures (Black Vulture?) would take off. None did from 9:30am to 10:45am and I left.

I could not find any Bobolink or Dickcissel south of the Winkler Ranch. Four Wild Turkey walked across the road north of the Winkler Ranch. There were quite a few birds along Castlewood Canyon, south of the ranch including Spotted Towhee, Gray Catbird, House Wren, Blue Grosbeak, Cordilleran Flycatcher, Western Scrub-Jay, a pair of Steller's Jays, Vesper Sparrow, Grasshopper Sparrow, Common Yellowthroat, and a Wilson's Warbler.

A bugling male Elk came over the western ridge and watched me for a while before heading back west!

I spent about an hour along Elbert County Road south of Kiowa (Elbert County Road). Did not see or hear any Dickcissels, but it was not the best time of the day. Winds 6-8 mph; gusts to 14 mph; temperature already 82. Two Common Nighthawks rested on fence posts along Elbert Road.

My trek continued down to Cheesman Reservoir (why do I always pick a hot day to make the hike up the Cheesman Canyon Trail to the reservoir from CR 126?

I did not find any Lewis's Woodpeckers or Red-headed Woodpeckers along CR 126, but did count 4 American Three-toed Woodpeckers along the Cheesman Canyon Trail. Nothing uncommon was seen at the reservoir itself.

Wandering around until dark I searched for owls around the reservoir and back along highway 67. Only one Northern Pygmy-Owl answered my recordings tonight!

No comments: