Sunday, June 28, 2009

Owling After a Great Birding Day in Boulder County

June 10, 2009 (continued)

Richard Stevens:

Five Texas birders and I stopped at Pennock Pass (Larimer County) just before dark. A Flammulated Owl was calling when we pulled up. Another Flammulated Owl called in the distance.

Later, when we arrived at Cameron Pass (12,294 feet), Jackson County it was snowing above 10,200 feet. The area had received 2-3 inches before their arrival. I stayed the night and woke up to 8-10 inches additional snow. It continued to snow and was still snowing at noon at 10,000 feet and above. Any attempts to find Boreal Owls were futile.

June 11, 2009

At 6:30 am I visited the Colorado State Forest Visitor's Center 10 miles west of Cameron Pass. Twenty to thirty Brown-capped Rosy Finches visited the feeders behind the Center. It down poured during my whole stay.

A young female moose ate grass about 15 feet from me! I was wearing green coat and pants and perhaps she did not see me as I stood against the wet dark brown building? In any case, my presence did not appear to bother her and she kept on eating while I watched the birds and her. Boy, moose appear quite large when they are that close!

Here at around 9,400 feet it rained heavily for the 2.5 hours I watched the many feeders. Other very wet birds seen included dozens of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds (only Broad-tailed), 20+ Evening Grosbeaks, a pair of Pine Grosbeaks, hundreds of Pine Siskins, several White-crowned Sparrows and several Dark-eyed Juncos.

No telling how long the Brown-capped Rosy Finches have been visiting or if they will continue. Skies appeared as if the snow/rain mix would continue throughout the day.

Later back in Larimer County Richard found an American Three-toed Woodpecker along the east side of Chambers Lake. He walked west from the first pullover south of highway 14.

Joe Wright Reservoir, Larimer County was snow and ice covered and no birds.

Many Wilson's Snipe were seen along puddles up Ruby Jewel Road, off Michigan Creek Road in the Colorado State Forest.

No comments: