Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Chasing Uncommon Birds in Boulder County

June 10, 2009

Richard Stevens:

I am using a friend's computer up in Longmont. Everyone from the CoBus office is either on the western slope today or Colorado
Springs.

At first light I was at Gregory Canyon this morning. While looking for the Kentucky Warbler I found the male Hooded Warbler!
After a 45 minute search for the Kentucky, the male Hooded Warbler popped out of the thickets north of the Bluestem Trail and
east of the Gregory Canyon parking area.

I gave up on the Kentucky Warbler and headed up the Gregory Canyon trail to get a look at the Scarlet Tanager. The male Kentucky
Warbler was singing out in the open in the large willow tree just west of the intersection of Saddle Rock and Gregory Canyon
trails. This was at 6:50 am.

When I arrived up the trail at the telephone pole (above #50) where the telephone wires cross the trail, the male Scarlet Tanager
was constantly calling. I took about two dozen photos from less than 15 feet. Hopefully one or two will come out? Unfortunately I
am on a week trip and do not have the means to download the photos until I return home.

Other birds observed: Virginia's Warblers both up Gregory Canyon and Bluestem trail (2 near the Kentucky Warbler)

MacGillivray's Warbler southwest of the restrooms near parking area Many Western Tanagers, Western Wood-pewee, Townsend's
Solitaire, 2 Plumbeous Vireos (between the two bridges), Broad-tailed Hummingbirds

Before leaving Boulder County I stopped at a few additional locations.

Teller Lake Trail No Bobolink but at least one Dickcissel. It was singing in the field about 3/4 miles from the parking area
(where the trail runs east to west).

Bobolink Meadow along Baseline Road (0.3 miles west of the bobolink trailhead below Baseline Reservoir

At least 3 male and a female Bobolink. I did not get out of my car, but looked from the little pullover area south of the field.
It is illegal to park here.

Walden/Sawhill Ponds At least one Green Heron (between Duck Lake and Sawhill)

Pella Crossing Park Field to the South of Heron Lake At least one male Bobolink At least one Dickcissel (the Dickcissel was
calling from a small area of alfalfa 60 yards

south of the lake. A Red-eyed Vireo was singing when I returned to the restrooms near the parking area. It eventually flew to the
trees southeast of the picnic table south of the restrooms.

I walked to the west side of 75th avenue to the western Pella Crossing Ponds (having never been there or known they were there.
The most southwestern pond (Clearwater Pond) has some old growth trees around it and potential during migration)

Have some time before meeting six birders for an owling trip and I may backtrack and look for the Northern Parula reported this
morning by Christian Nunes around the City of Boulder's Open Space and Mountain Parks office at 66 S. Cherryvale Rd.

In the afternoon:

Instead of driving back to Boulder from Loveland, I chose to hike from Dotsero Drive and 16th to the west side of Bud Mielke
Reservoir and back (a little over 3.2 miles).

I did not relocate the possible Eastern Meadowlark, but did see Bobolink, a pair of Great-tailed Grackles, Yellow-headed
Blackbirds, and many Western Meadowlarks.

The cool walk was a nice way to end my daylight birding! Going owling all night!

No comments: