Sunday, March 10, 2019

Little Dry Creek Trail

March 10, 2019

Richard Stevens:

High Temperature today was 52 degrees.  The winds made it free quite cold at 14-15 mph with gusts to 25 mph.

I headed southwest today.  The Black Scoter that has been wintering on South Platte Park Reservoir (Arapahoe/Jefferson) was not found.

The Harris's Sparrow continues at South Platte Park (Arapahoe).

I received a text message about a Northern Mockingbird along Little Dry Creek and stopped on my way home.  Text stated the bird was along Walnut Hills trail, which was interpreted to mean the spur off Little Dry Creek trail, west side of Walnut Hills Elementary School.

I walked the spur and Little Dry Creek trail from South Uinta Street west to South Quebec, no Northern Mockingbird.

It was too nice a day to go home; I hiked east to Walnut Hills Park and continued to South Yosemite Street, no Northern Mockingbird.

On the returned to Uinta Street, I checked the two yards, which I had picked as good places for a Northern Mockingbird.  Out of nowhere, the Northern Mockingbird flew into a willow bush along the chain link fence just west of the Harley Davidson trailer.

Unfortunately, the Northern Mockingbird stayed deep in the bush or on the ground behind the fence.  While I waited for a better view and dog walker came by and asked what was so interesting.  Her dog started barking and the Northern Mockingbird flew south across Little Dry Creek to the yard with the blue gate on its chain link fence.

It is a beautiful bird even it flight!  I put terrible witness photos on the "recent witness photos" link of the Colorado Birding Society's website

I passed through Cherry Creek State Park on my drive home.  No interesting birds, but I did take photos of the white deer near the intersection of Lake View Road and old Parker Road.

No Short-eared or Burrowing Owls appeared along the DIA Owl Loop again this evening.

No comments: