Sunday, January 28, 2018

Birding Around Denver, Adams to Arapahoe County

January 27, 2018

Richard Stevens:

Temperatures reached the middle 40s today.  Winds were 9 mph with gusts to 13 mph.

Dan Bridges and I both had a bird list of two while in Wheel Chairs.  My fractured ankle was given a rest and I rode a wheel chair down the South Platte River Birding Area.  The two Barrow's Goldeneyes raised my list to three species.  

BTW, we happen to own a "family" wheel chair which is sometimes in the car truck.  When I was in college, I kept crutches in the car.   Many times after playing basketball with taller players, they had to assist me to my car.

After receiving a text about the Long-tailed Duck in the Spratt Platte Lake Area (Adams), I headed north.  The female Long-tailed Duck was exactly where Adam Vesely reported.  Thanks much Adam!

My next "adventure" was not quite as good or successful.  I drove to East Crescent, Greenwood Village (Arapahoe), and then walked (with crutches) about 1/4 miles along the cattail field.  (Later, I found out that I turned south instead of north from the parking area).  The Winter Wren was not found by me.

I passed through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe) on the trip home.  The Long-eared Owl was out and providing nice views for many birders.

Hundreds of gulls stood on the ice off the northern boat ramp.  An Iceland Gull and Lesser Black-backed Gull was among many Ring-billed Gulls and two Herring Gulls.

No comments: