Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Return to Willow Creek Park & Barr Lake

August 30, 2016

I gave the Carolina Wren another chance to show itself at Willow Creek Park (Arapahoe County).  It did not in the hour or so of my visit.  A Wilson's Warbler was just about the only bird there.

Late in the afternoon, I returned to Barr Lake (Adams).  I walked along the canal from the footbridge to the banding station without finding the Northern Waterthrush.  On the return, Frank Farrell pointed the bird out to me.  Thanks much Frank!

About 40 Baird's Sandpipers and a Stilt Sandpiper were the only shorebirds on the Niedrach Trail mudflats.  Others had found Pectoral Sandpipers and Snowy Plovers earlier in the day.

A group of 40+ American White Pelicans swam along the nearby shore.  A dozen Double-crested Cormorants followed them.  Then the strange sight, 100+ Snowy Egrets walked behind the swimming flock.  Most I have ever observed at one time.

No comments: