Thursday, October 10, 2019

Hooded Warbler in Littleton, Missed Prothonotary Warbler at Barr Lake

October 8, 2019

Richard Stevens:

A fantastic fall day with a high of 78 degrees.  Winds were 6-7 mph with gusts to 15 mph.

It took about two hours to locate the Hooded Warbler that has been hanging around the Lee Gulch Trail (Arapahoe) since first reported by Santiago Tabares on 9/20.  The warbler first popped out of the bushes on the south side of the creek at 50 feet west of Mineral Avenue.  It eventually flew behind me while I was standing in the nearby clearing on the north side of the creek.

After receiving a text message about a Prothonotary Warbler at Barr Lake (Adams), I headed over.  In about three hours, I was not able to relocate the warbler.  The fantastic fall day with little wind was enjoyable in itself.  

A White-throated Sparrow jumped out of the Choke Cherry Bush along the main trail at 40 yards west of the banding station.  I was not aware that Meredith McBurney had banded it earlier in the day.

I scoped the Lake from the main trail.  No shorebirds were seen between the banding station and the west end of the Niedrach Boardwalk.

No comments: