Saturday, October 22, 2016

Foothills to Banner Lakes Wildlife Area

October 21, 2016

Richard Stevens:

I started birding today about three hours before sunrise but setting up my three "owl listening stations" (see previous posts or "Colorado Field Notes").  Then I hiked several miles in White Ranch Open Space (Jefferson).

A Northern Pygmy-Owl called in respond to a recording.  Later, I lit the area around one of the "owl listening stations" and found a Northern Saw-whet Owl calmly perched in a nearby evergreen.

Shortly after sunset, I visited Mt Falcon Park (Jefferson).  No Northern Pygmy-Owls appeared.  A Dusky Grouse crossed the path to the overlook.

My next stop was Genesee Mountain Park (Jefferson) where a male Williamson's Sapsucker was found west of the flagpole snag at the top of the mountain.  A pair of Red Crossbills, three species of nuthatches and several Pine Siskins were also encountered.

In the afternoon, I walked around Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld).  The previous report of an Eastern Towhee could not be confirmed.  No Long-eared Owls or Barn Owls were found, however a Great Horned Owl called around Pond 11 at dusk.

My main target bird for the day was a Flammulated Owl.  None was found. It was another fantastic fall day.

No comments: