Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Loveland Pass to Genesee Mountain Park to Cherry Creek Reservoir

May 24, 2015

Richard Stevens:

Two Ohio birders and I headed to the mountains an hour and a half before the 5:39 am sunrise.  About 50 Brown-capped Rosy Finches and 3 Gray-crowned Rosy Finches were found in Silverthorne (no Blacks).

We backtracked to Loveland Pass and scoped the western, then eastern side of the Summit.  Two White-tailed Ptarmigan were spotted at the lower end of the ragged rocks several hundred yards of the east side.  A long and steep trek down the mountain was thankfully avoided.

We headed back to Denver before the hordes of holiday travelers started to arrive.  A stop at Genesee Mountain Park (Jefferson) added another target bird to our list. 

A pair of Williamson's Sapsuckers was found just below the snag around the flagpole at the top of the mountain park.  Another pair was seen flying around the group picnic area when we returned to our car.

I was trying to take a photo of some Pygmy Nuthatches when a male Blackpoll Warbler was spotted (at the southern parking lot).

After dropping my birding companions at DIA (Denver International Airport), I headed over to Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe).  I ended up hiking from the northwest corner of the Lake Loop to the Cottonwood Creek Wetlands and back.

Yesterday's Chestnut-sided Warbler did not appear to be around.  I missed the Northern Parula reported earlier in the day.  Western Wood-pewees were quite numerous.  They appeared to be out fly catching everywhere.

The only "empidonax" flycatcher that I encountered was between the Prairie Loop and the Wetlands.  It was not a Dusky, Least or Cordilleran Flycatcher.  I brushed off the greenish back and wet dark head as a probable Willow Flycatcher.  Later I learned that other birders were stating that an Alder Flycatcher was in the area.  I believe I took four or five shots of the bird and will have to look at them later.  (I have about 2000 photos taken in the last three days that have not been inspected).

Back at the Lake Loop, I walked the drainage from Lake View Drive uphill/south to Bellevue Avenue and back.  The area was not as birdy as a few days ago.  A few Western Wood-pewees, six Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and a Red-eyed Vireo were still around.  I hoped the Bobolink (5/19) was still around.  Unfortunately, I could not find it.

Just before returning to my car, a Gray Flycatcher was seen back at the Lake Loop.

A stop at the Ranger's Office area found two male Black-chinned Hummingbirds (and a female in a nest)!

No comments: