Saturday, February 14, 2015

Exploring Eastern Arapahoe County

February 13, 2015

Richard Stevens:

After visiting a friend and relative in nearby hospitals, I drove to Aurora Reservoir (Arapahoe County).  Temperatures reached the middle 60s; winds were mild.  Only a couple of Ring-billed Gulls stood on the remaining ice at Aurora Reservoir.

Instead of driving the DIA Owl Loop, I decided to explore eastern Arapahoe County (including visiting another friend).  Eventually I found four Great Horned Owls on nests.  At my friend's ranch, we relocated two Long-eared Owls.  At a nearby ranch, we found an Eastern Screech-Owl (perhaps nesting in an old cottonwood). 

At dusk, I watched a Short-eared Owl fly over a cattail marsh along Kiowa Creek. 

Will have to return to watch results of the nesting and possible nesting owls!

No comments: