Thursday, September 25, 2014

Cherry Creek Reservoir, the last three days.

September 23-25, 2014

Richard Stevens: 

A family medical situation has reduced my birding to 1 or 2 hours a day for the next week or so.  There was no time today (9/25).  Two birders searched today for the possible Pine Warbler at Cherry Creek Reservoir (see 9/24).  They did not find one.

Previous birding:

September 24, 2014

Email sent to "cobirders" listserve:

Hello cobirders;

I managed to get in an hour of birding Wednesday.  As I passed through Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe County), I scoped the lake from the southwest marina and walked around the Smoky Hill Group Picnic area.  At least three Sabine's Gulls flew around below the dam.  A flock of 30 plus 1 Yellow-rumped Warblers was at the Picnic area.  A Plumbeous Vireo and Cassin's Vireo searched for food in the locust trees.  Last seen, the vireos were flying along the trees at the western side of the parking area.

Continued Good Birding!

The "plus 1" warbler:  I was almost positive that I glimpsed a Pine Warbler in the evergreen trees west of the group picnic area.  It only allowed two views and only for a couple of seconds each.  I ran out of time and could not pursue a definite ID.

September 23, 2014

Due to family medical situation, my birding is reduced to an hour or so for the near future.  I passed through Cherry Creek State Park again late in the afternoon.  A couple of Sabine's Gulls were seen off the marina.  A Townsend's Warbler was at the south end of the swim beach.

No comments: