Wednesday, July 9, 2014

DIA Owl Loop

July 8, 2014

Richard Stevens:

After spending most of the day shuttling from the Hospital (injured relative) to the Chevy Dealership (recalled vehicle), I drove the DIA Owl Loop in search of Long-billed Curlews reported earlier by Chris Rurik.

Eleven Burrowing Owls were seen along Quency (when 96th Avenue turns from east of Tower to the north). 

I do not know if I found one of the two Long-billed Curlews reported by Chris.  I walked up the gravel road at the corner of 96th avenue and Quency Street (whether it is private or not, do not know; there is not a no trespassing sign, although I would not drive up it).

A Long-billed Curlew was observed as I reached the top of the hill.  About 10 minutes before sunset, a Short-eared Owl was flying over the fields to the east!

Other interesting birds included a female Blue Grosbeak, Vesper Sparrows outnumbering the Horned Larks, many Mourning Doves, a male American Kestrel, a Prairie Falcon (flyover), and a Ferruginous Hawk.

After sunset, the night air was so much cooler than the hot day.  I enjoyed a walk into Barr Lake State Park (Adams) from Picadilly Road to the new archery area to the boat ramp.  A Barn Owl screeched somewhere near mile 7.2 of the main trail!

It was a pleasant end to a rather stressful day!

No comments: