Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Adams County Birding Again

August 1, 2012

Richard Stevens:

Late last night I returned to Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld) and set up two "migrating listening stations".  I prefer this area as the stations can be assembled far from noisy traffic.

I went back early this morning to gather the listening stations.  They do cost over $200 to assemble and losing them and the data is always a concern.  

I arrived about an hour before civil twilight.  The night was filled with bird songs/calls as usual.  Again, Chipping Sparrows were the most numerous bird heard migrating overhead.  As stated before, there are quite a few birds that I am not able to identify by their flight notes.  I hope that experience would assist with that problem.

On the way home, I stopped off at Barr Lake (Adams).  Only a few shorebirds ran around the northern shore.  Most probably are out on one of the sandbars, too far away to identify.  The Royal Tern was once again quite a ways offshore (but there)!

It is currently raining and I plan to skip putting the "migration listening stations" out tonight.

No comments: