Sunday, December 26, 2010

A Long Day Around Adams County

December 21, 2010

Richard Stevens:

I entered Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County) when it opened at 7:00 am. I hoped to find the Long-eared Owls flying around. Unfortunately, by the time the arsenal opened it was quite light. I have had better success when civil twilight has just started. With the time change to Standard Daylight, one cannot enter the arsenal until it is too late.

I walked to the north end of Lake Ladora and found quite a few sparrows moving about the brush. The final count was 9 White-crowned, 5 Song and 28 American Tree Sparrows. Most of the sparrows moved from around the lone evergreen tree at the northwest corner to the brush on the west side of the trail (near the blue metal pipe, "T" shaped. I put down some birdseed and continued walking north and east.

From a distance (near the white building), I observed that within 10 minutes a Song Sparrow found the seed. Shortly after, it was joined by several dozen sparrows. The White-throated Sparrow also made an appearance!

The day was relatively nice, little wind and temperatures in the low 50s. Not bad, for winter and considering the mountains just west of the Denver foothills had been receiving several feet of snow over the last three day.

So, I decided to hike the South Platte River trails from 88th avenue to Interstate 225 and back (east side, north to south and return along the west side). Dahlia Pond was passed on the way over, I stopped and pulled out my scope. A Long-tailed Duck swam in the middle section viewed from a pullover along Dahlia. The pond was about 50 percent ice covered, nicely limiting where the Long-tailed Duck could swim!

My hike along the S. Platte River was uneventful. East Gravel Lake, the 74th avenue pond and West Gravel Lakes were almost completely lacking ice cover.

The usual waterfowl suspects were seen in good number. Tani Reservoir did have a rather large number 831 Ring-necked Ducks. The most I have ever seen in one location. Northern Shovelers (hundreds) appeared to prefer the river.

When I arrived at the northern West Gravel Lake where 3 Long-tailed Ducks wintered last year, the male Barrow's Goldeneye was swimming around below the tower. He eventually flew down to the Platte River, just south of the green and white tower. I never found the female Barrow's Goldeneye reported last on December 11th.

My next stop was Barr Lake State Park (Adams). I sat on the bench west of the Visitor's Center for 2 hours watching the various House Sparrows, White-crowned Sparrows and a Tree Sparrow visit below the feeders. The Harris's & White-throated Sparrows (last reported 12/16) did not appear.

Hundreds of geese were on the ice and in the small open water area off the boat ramp. Eleven Snow Geese, 2 Ross's Geese and a Greater White-fronted Goose were among them.

Still not wanting to end my birding day, I decided to drive to Banner Lakes Wildlife Area (Weld).

Along the way, I passed the Picadilly Tree Nursery feedlot (2 miles north of Barr Lake) where 100+ Great-tailed Grackles and dozens of Eurasian Collared-Doves flew around.

At the bison ranch along Harvest Road at 0.6 miles north of 160th Avenue, 200+ Great-tailed Grackles walked around underneath the bison.

At Banner Lakes Wildlife Area, one of the two Long-eared Owls I have found this winter was relocated. A Great Horned Owl was north of Pond 8. Few birds moved about. I waited until dark to see if any Short-eared Owls would come out; none did.

No comments: