Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rocky Mountain Arsenal, Adams County

At first light I entered Rocky Mountain Arsenal and went to Richard Stevens' waypoint for Long-eared Owls. In less than 5 minutes a Long-eared Owl responded to my Long-eared Owl tape. I did not get any response when I played a Barn Owl tape.

There were no land birds at the Rod and Gun Club bird blind. Canada Geese, Gadwall, American Coots and Pied-billed Grebes were in the pond.

A Palm Warbler was found in the cottonwoods along the stream between Lower Derby Lake and Lake Ladora. I couldn't see into Lower Derby Lake and didn't take the time to hike to Havana pond.

Later I walked Buckley Road from 56th avenue to 88th avenue and back. I didn't find Friday's Fox Sparrow. A Sage Thrasher was around the Wildlife Watch parking lot. A Burrowing Owl (Stevens, 10/2) was in Denver County across from the 8th telephone pole south of 88th avenue.

No comments: