Thursday, August 13, 2009

Return to Jefferson County

August 5, 2009

Richard Stevens:

I thought I would give the Magnificent Hummingbird seen up in Bailey (Jefferson County) another shot even though several birders and I had missed it the past couple of days. I had no better luck today.

On the way back to Denver, I drove to the southern parking area for Pike National Forest. The two mile hike along the Strawberry Jack Trail to the Parkview Trail found about the same birds found a few weeks ago.

Broad-tailed Hummingbirds, Mountain Bluebirds, White-breasted Nuthatches, Pygmy Nuthatches, and Chipping Sparrows are still tending to families.

At 120 yards south of the Park View Trail, I observed an adult American Three-toed Woodpecker feeding a young bird.

I could not find any of the elusive Northern Pygmy-Owls.

No comments: