Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Back to Adams County

February 16, 2009

Richard Stevens:

Gary Weston and I visited Prewitt Reservoir (Logan/Washington) before sunrise. Eastern Screech-Owls answered our recordings. One was below the dam and east of the outlet canal. Another was at the western end of the property. We did not take the time to scope the reservoir itself.

After dropping Gary off, I drove home by way of 88th Avenue and the S. Platte River. It turned out to be a good choice. A 3rd cycle Glaucous Gull and adult Herring Gull stood on the ice at the southeast corner of Tani Reservoir.

Continuing north I stopped at the pullover along Dahlia (just south of the yellow brick house with red roof). A Long-tailed Duck was among many ducks which also included 2 Ruddy Ducks, Redheads, 2 Canvasbacks, and some American Coots. The Long-tailed Duck swam east and then south around the finger of the lake.

Across the street at East Gravel Lake, a male Barrow's Goldeneye was among 24+ Common Goldeneyes.

A quick hike down to the green and white tower along the South Platte River (from 88th avenue) added a pair of Barrow's Goldeneyes to my day list.

It was such a beautiful winter day (I believe temps reached into the 60s) that I decided to hike below the dam at Barr Lake (mile marker 6.0 to 7.0). Perhaps a Virginia Rail could be found?

Birds were few but I did see a Marsh Wren in the cattails north of Outlet Canal 11. Two Song Sparrows were south of Outlet Canal 3. Four American Goldfinches, a female Northern Harrier, and some Red-winged Blackbirds (heard only) were just about all I found.

My birding day ended with a drive around the DIA Owl Loop. No Short-eared Owls were found. I did pass the burnt out Continental airplane that crashed a few weeks ago. What a mess, lucky no one was hurt!

No comments: