Thursday, December 11, 2008

Snowy Day at Washington Park

December 9, 2008

Richard Stevens:

Denver area received 4-6 inches of snow overnight. Because temperatures have been rather warm, the snow was melting rapidly. This did not stop the many accidents that usually occur after such a storm. I did not want to drive around in the mess and decided to take a City RTD bus from the Pena Park n Ride near the airport over to the Washington Park area.

A homeowner in the area had reported Bohemian Waxwings along the West side of the park so I decided to give it a shot. As any birder who chases waxwings knows, they are quite difficult to relocate even the day after the report. This report was 3 days old and I did not hold much hope of success. I have several friends who live in the area and if nothing else planned to visit them.

There were plenty of American Crows and a few Northern Flickers in the park. A Ruby-crowned Kinglet fluttered about the evergreen trees at the north end, no waxwings however.

A two hour walk around Washington Park and the streets west did not find any waxwings, typical. I did find many Hackberry bushes along South Marion Street (site of previous report). Took some great photos of snow covered Washington Park, visited my friends and hopped on a bus back to my car about 12 miles east as the Waxwing flies.

No comments: