Saturday, July 19, 2008

Owling in Clear Creek County

July 18, 2008

I returned to the Montezuma Area (Clear Creek County) last night. My owling was concentrated on Argentine Pass Road. The full moon lit up the road quite nice and a spotlight was not needed to hike down the road. Unfortunately, I did not find any owls. My technique was again to stop every 100 yards and play recordings of Northern Pygmy-Owl, Northern Saw-whet Owl, and Boreal Owl.

It was such a calm and beautiful night to walk that I hiked up the Hunkidori Trail for about a mile. While I did not find the Northern Saw-whet Owl that we located a few weeks back, a Northern Pygmy-Owl did call. It was not far from the trailhead, perhaps 300 yards.

Being alone and in Mountain Lion and Bear County, I decided not to hike up the nearby Saint Johns Trail where we found a Boreal Owl a few weeks ago.

No comments: