Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Western Slope

June 15, 2008

My trek this week was to search for owls in southern Colorado. My first stop was one of my favorite south of Pueblo……..South Creek Trail (Pueblo County).

I arrived about 4 hours before sunset and decided to hike up the St. Charles Trail (which is almost across from the South Creek Trail. Flammulated Owls have been reported in the past. I did not find any but did run into a male American Three-toed Woodpecker about 600 yards west of the trailhead.

As I arrived back at Highway 165, a Dusky Grouse was crossing the road south of the trailhead. I walked up and down Hwy 165 and saw another Dusky Grouse near the Old Castle (north of the trailheads).

After sunset, camp and tent were set up along the South Creek Trail (and about 200 yards east of Hwy 165). I then hiked the 1/4 mile down to the creek and played recordings. Two Northern Saw-whet Owls (at least 2) answered back! Unfortunately, no Flammulated Owls called this night.

After driving north to the first campgrounds (name slips my mind) and not hearing any Flammulated Owls (they have been there in the past) and returned to my tent and retired. I woke at 4:00am to the sound of two Northern Saw-whet Owls calling to each other (adult and young?).

June 16, 2008

The day was spent checking locations where Hepatic Tanagers and Grace's Warblers were found the past several years. While I did see many of the nesting birds (such as Hammond's Flycatchers, Cordilleran Flycatchers, Western Wood-pewees, etc) my target birds escaped me. Perhaps they did not return this year?

Most of the morning was spent around the Gulnare Area (CR 44) in search of Grace's Warblers. The afternoon was spent near Walsenburg and possible Hepatic Tanager nesting sites.

After dark, I returned to the West Spanish Peaks area and tried my luck with owling. Not one owl was found.

June 17, 2008

Today my target bird was Bendire's Thrasher. Again I struck out. However a flock of 31 Pinyon Jays crossed my path near Forest Roads 660 & 659 (Saguache County). Temperatures rose quickly and by noon it was quite hot.

I hiked down and zigzagged the area south of the above intersection for about 2 hours. Bendire's Thrashers have been reported here in the past.

My birding day ended early as I checked into a motel for a cold shower and g was in but never was able to put a spotlight on it.

June 20, 2008

A walk around West Fork Campgrounds added many birds to my trip list. The highlight was a male Hooded Warbler. He popped up several times from the bushes and provided great looks!

As it was to turn out, that was the highlight of my day. Point Counts at Navajo Reservoir (Archuleta) turned up the usual suspects but nothing uncommon (Red-breasted Merganser, Western Grebe, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, and Redhead Duck).

Pastorius Reservoir (La Plata) was quiet. I ended my birding day with unsuccessful owling around the area.

June 21, 2008

I searched again unsuccessfully for owls on the way to Yellow Jacket Canyon (Montezuma). I wanted to be there early to beat the weather and hopefully catch the Lucy's Warblers singing.

This worked out fine. I only had to hike about 30 minutes before hearing a Lucy's Warbler. Ten minutes later, a second bird joined in! If the Summer Tanagers are still around, they didn't show for me. I conducted point counts and added Black-throated Sparrow and Gray Vireo to my trip list.

In the afternoon, I drove southwest on Highway 160 down to the Four Corners Area. Several sections were picked out for point counts. I was hoping to find a Black-chinned Sparrow; but it was not to be.

June 22, 2008

Today I conducted point counts at McPhee Reservoir and later Narraquinnep and Totten Reservoir. The only birds found were the usual suspects.

June 23, 2008

Back in Durango for the night, I listened for Northern Pygmy-Owls around the Ranger's Office before civil twilight. Then I drove to Wildcat Canyon around sunrise. Two Acorn Woodpeckers were added to my year and trip lists.

Then I quickly continued north to Lake Havilland. Here I found an American Three-toed Woodpecker, Williamson's Sapsuckers, and Red-naped Sapsuckers. Two Grace's Warblers were also singing around the lake. No owls, few birds on the water, I headed north.

Colorado has some fantastic landscapes; the Million Dollar Highway maybe one of the best. A quick stop was made at Molas Pass (Hinsdale). I didn't walk around much and saw few birds.

I drove around Silverton to look for lingering Rosy Finches; without success. Trips are never a waste; hummingbirds were visiting several feeders in town. The highlight was a male Calliope Hummingbird! I also counted half a dozen Rufous Hummingbirds and dozens of Broad-tailed Hummingbirds.

I could have sworn that a Black Swift flew by. Unfortunately, I did not get a good look and did not add it to my trip list. It's no problem getting Black Swift for Ouray County, but Hinsdale County is a different matter.

My birding day ended at Box Canyon. Sure enough, three Black Swifts were flying around! A lumbering Dusky Grouse was a first county sighting for me! After dark I listened for owls; without success.

June 24, 2008

I caught up with Bryan and Sue Ehlmann and we enjoyed a great reunion breakfast. After cementing plans for the coming weeks, they headed to Telluride and I headed back to Denver to pick up a couple of additional birders.

As I passed Escalante Canyon, a quick detour found the 2 Black Phoebes along the creek across from Pinnacle Rock (Delta).

I decided to bypass Grand Junction, looked unsuccessfully for Lewis's Woodpeckers in Palisade and ended the daylight part of the day at Cameo.

It was good to stretch my legs with a 2 mile hike up the canyon. A few good birds found included 2 Chukar, 4 Black-throated Sparrows, a male Blue Grosbeak, and a singing Ash-throated Flycatcher. The Golden Eagle nest near the entrance does not appear to be used this year. Unfortunate, it was entertaining watching the adults catch food for the youngins' last year.

After dark, I drove the roads north and south of DeBeque. I finally managed to find 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl south of town.

No comments: