Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Hike Along the South Platte River

January 7, 2008

I hiked along the S. Platte River the 12 miles or so from South Platte Park to Confluence Park, Denver. It was a beautiful winter day, no wind, relatively warm temps.

At first light I watched the dark morph Red tailed Hawk perched on the telephone poles behind the Carson Nature Center at South Platte Park (Arapahoe County). At 7:50am the Northern Mockingbird came to the feeder east of the Nature Center. It stayed for at least 30 minutes and was still there when I left.

I hoped to find some uncommon ducks or gulls along the Platte. That did not happen, but I did see plenty of common ducks and geese. The highlights included a Cooper's Hawk, Mountain Chickadees, dozens of Hooded Mergansers, a couple of Common Mergansers, a hybrid Northern Shover/mystery bird, Great Blue Herons and 2 Black crowned Night Herons. I also saw 2 Rough legged Hawks, 9 Red tailed Hawks, American Kestrels, and 1 Sharp shinned Hawk. Only Ring billed Gulls and 1 Herring Gull were found.

At Lakecrest (Adams County) at dusk, I found the Greater White fronted Goose and what looked like a hybrid Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser. I went back this morning hoping to get a photo (it was too dark last night), neither was there. Perhaps out feeding and they could return later in the day?

No comments: