Sunday, October 14, 2007

Search for Sprague's Pipits

October 10 to 11, 2007

October 10th

Roger Danka and I spent two days wandering around Sedgwick and Phillips County in search of Sprague's Pipits.

We did not find any in their tradition locations along Sedgwick CR 59. This was in spite of driving the roads for five hours, stopping and scoping the fields.

In the afternoon, Roger made some calls to ranches that I had provided bird birds and a lectured last fall (2006). Three possible fields to search had emerged.

It never hurts to involve as many people as possible. Roger and I found Sprague's Pipits on two of the three ranches. The ranchers were ecstatic that they had found Sprague's Pipits even with their limited knowledge!

After dark, Roger and I heard his 2 Eastern Screech-Owls calling while we took a hike around his property.

October 11th
Roger and I returned to the two ranches and relocated several Sprague's Pipits. So they had stayed at least one night. We checked several other ranches; without success.

I consumed a late lunch of fried chicken (Roger's wife is the best) and headed back to Denver.

No comments: